New Buffalo Yacht Club
The New Buffalo Yacht Club was born on August 4, 1956 when a group of 25 persons met at the Rio Hotel to discuss ways to help maintain and develop New Buffalo's harbor. After incorporating as a non-profit organization, the group also formed the first New Buffalo Port Authority and for many years club members served in that capacity. In 1957 the club was admitted to the Lake Michigan Yachting Association.
During the early years, meetings had been held in private homes and restaurants, but by 1960 the search for a clubhouse site was on and the next year saw the purchase of the present facility on Water Street. In 1964 the Club sponsored the first New Buffalo to Chicago power boat race and Miss Great Lakes Regatta Queen Contest was born. But the high point of that year was the visit of a U.S. Senator to the annual Corn and Sausage Roast -where he announced a Congressional appropriation of $50,000 engineering and planning money for the local harbor.
As the certainty of a harbor grew, so did the New Buffalo Yacht Club with increased membership demanding additions to the clubhouse.
Our club continues to grow and members can point with pride to a long list of accomplishments-including a very important part in making New Buffalo's harbor dream become a reality.
*Article and photo credit goes to "The New Buffalo Story, 1834-1976" book.
500 West Water Street
New Buffalo, Michigan 49117